Communications manager position open in Starkville
The National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center located in The Mill at Mississippi State University has a high-level public relations position open for a communications manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handle broad-based, often complex, communication for internal and/or external audiences.
- Proactively communicates project status, issues, and risks, and develop and deliver progress reports to senior management.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope in coordination with senior management.
- Identify, develop, and initiate innovations and solutions where precedents and procedures may not exist.
- Provides ethical counsel, mentoring, coaching, and direction in communication and related contexts to team members.
- Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Creates and manages website content, including the homepage, program pages, blog, web forms, and other such areas of the website.
- Develops and maintains the center’s traditional media and social media content plan and manage, promote and track the center’s media presence.
- Coordinates and participates in the creation and dissemination of center reports, bulletins, briefs, and other publications.
- Coordinates and participates in the development of user manuals and other technical guides and documents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Multimedia Specialist and Webmaster (2), Graphic Designer, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Research Associate II/III/Sr., and Technical Writer (2).
The above essential duties are representative of major duties in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Education: Master’s degree in Public Relations, Communication, Journalism, Broadcasting, Marketing, Digital Communication, Mass Media, or related field
Experience (yrs.): Three years progressively responsible and successful experience leading the public relations function, including developing and managing web sites and multi-media projects.
No substitutions allowed for education or experience.
Experience beyond the minimum
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The successful candidate must possess excellent skills in verbal and written communication, public-speaking, and customer service. The candidate also must be self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work independently and with a wide range of constituencies. Extensive travel may be required.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by authors separately to nSPARC) and an official transcript for each terminal degree and each terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Communications Manager Search Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Find more information on the Mississippi State University website: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/cw/en-us/job/495572/communications-manager